Thursday, November 6, 2008

In the book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, Sean Covey, the author, tells us that we should be proactive. I remember one time when I was proactive even though my brother would not stop bothering me.

I was sitting in my room doing my homework when my little brother barged in and started disturbing my belongings. He started picking up everything and placing each object in a new place. Once he realized that he was not having fun destroying my room, he started asking me really dumb questions to which he already knew the answers. My first reaction was to yell at him, and to tell him to "Leave my stuff alone! My things do not belong to you and I know you will break something because you break everything you touch!" At that moment I remembered what Sean said about being proactive, and instead of yelling at my brother, I told him to "Please stop, and when I finish my homework, I will play a game with you."

I felt good about what I had done, because I had told my brother to stop so I could finish my homework, and I had made him happy by telling him that I would play with him.

No comments: